Monday, November 17, 2014

Brace Yourself. Winter is Coming

Yes, I am a Game of Thrones fan....but in reality, Winter really is coming. Some would argue that it is already here as it is COLD outside. I think our high today is 18 degrees. Our windchill is in the negatives. And it's only November!

A few months ago, I started playing around with sugar body scrubs. I dislike spending money on store-bought things. Preferring instead to make them myself if at all possible. Well, sugar body scrubs are possible. And easy. I won't ever purchase sugar scrubs from someone else again. (Of course, if you'd rather have *me* make you some, I'll be happy to charge you for them! lol)


Anywho- this is the basic recipe- and most of it is available in your grocery store or craft store.

SUGAR BODY SCRUB
2 cups sugar 1/4 cup large grain kosher salt 3/4 cup coconut oil 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or extra light olive oil) 10 drops vitamin E oil 1 tsp shea butter
Essential oils of your choice.
When it comes to the EO's, put scents together that you like. The amount or number of drops will depend on how soft or strong you want the scent, as well as the strength of the brand Of EO you're using. Also remember that the scent will intensify for the first 24 hours...so if you go light with the EO's, check it again in 24 hours to see if the scent is strong- or light-enough for you.
For my Citrus Cedar, I used 30 drops cedarwood, 20 drops tangerine, and 10 drops black pepper.
For my Cinnamon Brandy I used 60 drops cinnamon bark, 30 drops clovebud, and 1/2 tsp homemade cinnamon brandy extract.
My Peppermint Candy I used 15 drops peppermint, 5 drops spearmint, and 1 tsp homemade vanilla extract.
Now this basic recipe, minus the EO's, will make 1 pint and 1 small jar (like in my picture). I separate the sugar into jars first, then add the EO's and mix. Of course, if you are making only one type of scrub, you can add the EO's to the oils before you mix the oils into the sugar. Your choice.
Also- I prefer grapeseed oil over olive oil. No particular reason, I just like the feel of the end result better. You use what you like. Also- if you want to increase the Vitamin E oil and omit the shea butter, you can.
Hope this works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment